We use superlative when we compare one thing or person with several sings or people.
Comparative: New York is bigger than London.
Superlative: New York is the biggest city in the world.
- We put ‘the’ before all superlative adjectives.
- We add –est to the end of most one syllable adjectives.
- We double the consonant and add –est for one syllable adjectives which have one vowel + consonant.
- We add –st to the end of one syllable adjectives which ending -e
- For two-syllable adjectives ending in –y we drop the –y and add -iest.
- For most other adjectives of more than one syllable, we use the most before adjective.
beautiful - the most beautiful
- Some adjectives are irregular.
bad - worse - the worst
far- further - the furthest
much - more - the most